Ever since I bought the tickets I’ve been thinking more and more about California. It’s still 4 weeks away and I’m not one for planning too much in advance, so I’m sure it will sneak up on me soon enough. I’m looking forward to seeing my family (especially my one year old nephew) and my friends, it’s been way too long and there’s so much catching up to do.
But the question here is what to do while I’m there… only 6 days and a lot of ground to cover. Easiest to break it down by location. This only scratches the surface of what I’d like to do while I’m there, but it’s a start!
San Francisco (“the city”):
A-16– one of my favorite restaurants though I haven’t been there in a couple years. Looking forward to sitting with my sisters at the bar watching the pizzaiolo man the ovens while we enjoy some great wines and even better food. Maybe I can get a signed copy of their new cookbook… A16: Food + Wine
Ferry Building Market – I’m sure it’s changed a lot since the last time I was there (can tell from the website). Looking forward to seeing what’s new.
Hog Island Oyster Co.– I’d love to be able to head up to Hog Island with friends on a beautiful day, get a couple dozen oysters, some beer, and start shucking!
Downtown San Rafael Farmers’ Market – Yes, I have a thing for markets… they are a big part of what I miss about living in CA, and one of my favorite things to do in any city I visit.
Bistro Jeanty – As I’ve mentioned before, one of my all-time favorite restaurants. Hope it’s cool enough one night to enjoy the tomato soup en croute. Oh, what the hell… who am I kidding, it’s going to be HOT… I can still enjoy the soup!
… I can’t do it… I can’t pick just one winery! See my previous post on what I would do with one day in the Napa Valley.
Last but not least, at least for now, I want to cook big dinners with friends and family – I want to have a chance to actually cook with all the great products from the markets and enjoy the wines with my loved ones… like old times.
One thought on “California Here I Come, Part II”
i just did a one week “culinary” tour of san francisco… and i would love to recommend some places that… won my heart over… and have made me feel like San Francisco is the city I should live in, in the future (currently living in NYC…)
In no particular order:
1) Blue bottle Coffee (they have a kiosk as well as a stand in the ferry building…)
2) NOPA (amazing produces/vegetables/ingredients strutting there stuff for a delicious dinner)
3) Nopalito (mexican counterpart of NOPA; carnitas are to die for…)
4) Coi (high end; technique driven/market driven tour de force (if everyone could have a taste of the egg dish at this place; the world would be a much better place…)
5) Try to get your hands on some 4505 Meats Chicharronnes… Ridiculous pieces of pork good-ness (sold at several stores throughout san fran)…
6) Incanto… approachable offal… had some yummy calves brain… along with others…
7) The ferry building of course (which you already have…)
8) Cooking!!! The one thing that you will be doing that I unfortunately couldn’t do, is cooking with all that amazing produce… so jealous… yet so happy and excited to see what gets made 🙂
hope you have an amazing trip!!!